Introduction to Medicine Summer High School Program at BU
Post date: Mar 5, 2015 6:45:48 AM
During summer 2015, BU Summer Term High School Programs is introducing AIM: Introduction to Medicine. This exciting three-week pre-medical program is offered in partnership with the Department of Medical Sciences & Education at the Boston University School of Medicine.
AIM: Introduction to Medicine provides a broad introduction to the field of medicine, combining coursework in related sciences with experiential learning activities and explorations of the various career possibilities that exist within the field. In the mornings, you attend seminars on the Boston University Charles River Campus that focus on three core topics: Anatomy and Physiology, Infectious Diseases, and Contemporary Issues in Medicine. In the afternoons, you engage in hands-on learning activities at the Boston University Medical Campus that introduce you to the kinds of activities that medical students undertake in the early phase of their education. These activities include:
- Simulation labs in which students learn to conduct physical exams and take vital signs
- Surgical activities in which students learn about suturing, surgical knots, and biopsies
- Laboratory investigations in the Boston University Medical School labs that allow students to explore scientific aspects of health and disease
- Workshops with different medical professionals, such as a genetic counselor or radiologist, where students learn about the kinds of medical work performed by those professionals
- Meetings with medical students and graduate students, where students learn about post-graduate experiences in the sciences
These activities are led by medical faculty on staff at the Boston University School of Medicine. The educational goals of the program are for students to 1) deepen their understanding of the academic science behind medicine; 2) experience some of the medical learning activities in which graduate medical students participate; and 3) learn about the range of professional possibilities that exist within the medical field.
BU Summer Programs for High School Students
We invite you to choose from five exciting and challenging summer high school programs. Each program offers the opportunity to explore new subjects and college life—while making friends with fellow students and participating in social activities in Boston and on campus. Join other motivated high school students from 49 states and 87 countries and experience a great introduction to college life and academics. You can learn more about the programs by visiting http://www.bu.edu/summer/high-school-programs/